Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Binky

I love binkies.  My babies love binkies.  We are a binky loving family.  And so, when it comes time to say goodbye to the binky there is some sadness, and just a little fear.

For some reason, with both Easton and Ty, I have noticed that I begin to fear the worst as I start thinking about taking the binky away.  I feel like it will be traumatizing for him and there will be many, many sleepless nights for the whole family.  So therefore, I try to put the event off with various excuses of why I should wait. 

I am pretty sure this fear stems from my childhood memories of my little sister, who, on a family vacation flight,  lost her binky. The world may as well have just stopped turning at that very moment.  For, that moment lead to the next week of listening to her screaming and crying and crying and screaming and screaming and crying every night.  I watched my poor mom run from store to store desperately trying to find the correct binky or any binky that little Lauren would be happy with.  None of them worked, but at the end of the week, Lauren (and the rest of us) survived and she was completely binky free... 
She is now, by the way, dating boys and driving cars (against my all my wishes).

From this memory, I knew what it would be like to be rid of the binky.  So, with Easton, I prepared myself, and then put it off, and then prepared again, and then put it off (This went on for a while).  And then, one day I did it.  I snipped the end off of the binky so there would be no suction...and he didn't care one bit.  He handed the binky to me, laid down, and went to bed.  The End.  What?!  I couldn't believe it, and thought for sure Easton was one in a million and it would never happen to me again...

Skip to present day,  Ty is just a bit older than Easton was (for that same reason of putting it off).  I was planning on doing it the same way, by cutting the tip, but last night as I was putting Ty to bed, I thought I would just try NOT giving him the binky and wait to see what his reaction would be.  
You know what happened?
This:
Never made a peep.  Didn't even give me 'the look' that he was going to make a peep.  Nothing.
 
To many of you, this may be no big deal.  But, to me it's incredible because well, I saw what removing the binky could be like. 
So, I am happy.

p.s Tonight is night two, and so far so good, but now I am a bit nervous that because I am writing this I am going to jinx everything as soon it is posted. ha

No comments: