Monday, August 16, 2010

That Went A Whole Lot Differently In My Head

Today is Ace's 30th birthday! {Woot. Woot.}  Ace is on a crazy job right now and has been working really long hours.  I had been wanting to do something really great for the big 3-0, but I realized very quickly once he started this job that the last thing Ace would want on his b-day is a big birthday bash, because he was coming home from work so exhausted.  And since he has been working a lot I knew he would want to spend time with the kiddlets and not have them at a babysitter....So for the last, forever, I have been trying to think of something that would be a fun kids/family thing AND calming and relaxing and stress free for Ace. (Can those two things even go into the same sentence?)  Then, I came up with a plan that I thought could work.  I thought it would be fun to go down to the Strip as a family, stay in a nice hotel, swim, relax and have none of the house/work worries...

We got to the hotel around noon on Saturday.  Things started off smoothly enough.
This was the view from our room...
So obviously, we headed straight to the pool.
We were having such a great time we didn't even notice our very wrinkly feet...

After swimming, we hung out in our room, watched TV, had some bagels.  Then we decided it would be fun to go bowling.  This is where things started to take a downward spin...I realized after swimming that in my rush to pack my family's clothing and supplies I completely forgot to pack myself any pants.  Yep.  I wore a knee-high dress to the hotel and didn't really think it would be appropriate to go bowling in.  But I wasn't going to let this little set back ruin our weekend of I grabbed a pair of Ace's basketball shorts, sinched them up nice and tight, rolled them up a few times and called it good (I am not making this up, people).  When I walked out of the bathroom to ask the fam "how do I look?" Easton saw me and let out a bellowing laugh and said, "You look so funny, Mommy!" Nice. I also realized I brought zero pairs of socks to wear inside of those nasty, sweaty bowling shoes. Perfect.  But never fear, the bowling alley had a vending machine filled with socks... $4.00 later I had my ONE pair of socks.  Awesome.
But bowling was super fun...
The birthday boy showing off his professional bowling skills.

Easton, checking to see if there is any possibility cracking the floor in half.

Ty, showing us what he can do...
{Not the best picture but, see that manly looking creeper hunched over Ty, that would be me in my awesome, perfectly matching I might add, outfit}
 Easton after getting his first strike.

First round scores...
Second Round Scores...
Okay, first I have a theory about any sport/game that I have ever played I start off at my best and gradually get worse and worse as we continue to play. None of this practice makes perfect junk.  Second, Easton had bumpers and I did not.  Third, it's Ace's birthday so of course I am going to let him win. :)

While we were bowling I caught a glimpse of what was to come.  I noticed Easton's eye was reddish.  I didn't think much of it because we had been swimming...
After bowling, we went to eat at the Cafe
Then back off to the room for a movie and sleep time.
Easton was real excited about sleeping on his very own couch.

So, we all went to bed thinking it was going to be a very peaceful night.  But, about 2:30 am I woke up to Easton wheezing and coughing (like the deep croup sounding cough) he could barely breathe.  Ace gave him a blessing, which made things so much better.  Then I sat with him in the bathroom, with  the hot shower running to help him breathe better.  Then, I noticed his eye.  Goopy, red, eye. Fabulous.  At this point, Ty is awake, happy, and ready to play, and Ace says we should just leave and take Easton to a Quick Care.  He went down stairs to check out and I start packing up. 
Ty literally was as happy as ever.

Poor Easton, on the other hand, was not.

So at 4:00 am we left the comfort of the hotel, and off to spend the rest of the night in a quick care.  Until suddenly, as I am carrying Easton to the car he sits up and smiles at me and says, "Mommy, I'm not sick anymore!  I am all better!" I looked at him. His eye was totally cleared up.  His voice was a little raspy, but he was breathing fine and there was no cough.  What?  Did we just dream this up?  Ace and I just thought we were completely delusional. (This just sounds even crazier as I am writing it, by the way.) 

So, we drove home.  Listening to Easton chat about bad guys and batman the whole way.
Just feeling grateful.  Grateful that he was okay.  Grateful for a Priesthood Holder Hubby.  Grateful for the fun that we did have together. And Grateful that at 5:00 in the morning we can all be happy and laugh about how weird/baffling/such a blessing the situation is.

So Happy Birthday Ace!  Even though our weekend didn't go just as planned, we hope you enjoyed it a little!! :)  Maybe we will try again next year... ha.

And here are the boys wishing you a happy happy birthday! Nose picking and all!


Kati said...

Those sock vending machines are a total rip off! I had to do the same thing at a bowling bday party the boys went to a couple weeks ago. I couldn't believe I forgot socks and then had to pay $4 for a pair.

It still sounds like it was a fun time.

Alissa said...

Wow! I couldn't see the picture of your bowling outfit but you are a selfless person to go out in your husband's bball shorts. I can't even imagine me trying to wear my husbands shorts...they'd fall right off.

I"m sure Ace appreciated everything you did. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ACE!!